Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, widely known by its initials FSSAI is an authority under the Government of India formed to keep an eye on the Indian food business operators. It was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
As per the regulations issued by FSSAI, an FBO (short for Food Business Operator) is required to get either registration or a license to carry on its business.
People often get confused between these two terms: Registration and License. Not every FBO is required to get the license; only registration will do for petty food business operators.
REGISTRATION FOR FBOs
Before knowing about the registration process, let's understand who is considered a petty FBO. A petty FBO means-
* A manufacturer, seller of any food article, a hawker, vendor, petty retailer, temporary stallholder, etc. or someone who distributes food at a religious or social gathering not being a caterer
* Someone who is carrying a small-scale food business with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs
* business of food (other than milk and meat-related products) with production capacity less than or equal to 100kg/ltr per day
* an operator procuring/ handling or collecting milk up to 500ltrs of milk per day
* an operator having a slaughtering capacity of a maximum of two large animals or ten small animals or fifty poultry birds per day
The registration process is very easy and inexpensive as only one form is filed, along with a FSSAI registration fee
of Rs 100 and a few documents required for FSSAI registration.
Having discussed about FSSAI Registration in India,
let’s discuss about how to apply for FSSAI Registration
and what are the FSSAI registration documents?
How to get FSSAI Registration done? What is the FSSAI registration process?
* The application for registration is made in Form-A in which one has to give details like the type of business, name and other basic details of the applicant and the business as well, proof of identity of the applicant, details regarding the turnover and the food products in which the food operator deals. The applicant also has to attach his photo to the form.
* The applicant also has to sign a declaration that the business he is operating is in adherence to the act's safety and hygiene regulations.
* The registration authority may accept, reject, or order an inspection on receiving the application. After accepting the application, the department issues a FSSAI Registration certificate
If the authority fails to inform its decision to the FBO, the operator may start his business, but on a condition that he will improve all the safety and hygiene norms if the authority suggests any.
Keeping this note in mind, one must be thinking about why this registration is necessary if the law is not that grave?
The answer is credibility. Apart from the penalties one might face, consumers find it safer to buy food from an operator registered under FSSAI. It is advisable to get the registration and consult professionals
to make this task more manageable.
We at MAG, provide the services of FSSAI online registration.
LICENSING FOR FOBs
Two authorities manage and deal with the FSSAI License in Delhi, India
under the FSS Act, 2006, the central licensing authority and the State or Union Territory authority. If the food to which the business belongs falls under the list given under Schedule 1 of the act, the FBO has to apply to the central licensing authority. Otherwise, he applies to the State/UT'S licensing authority.
* To get a license under this act, one has to file a form, Form-B, and give a self-attested declaration along with the prescribed fee. This license generally takes approx. 60 days to get issued. Details about the business, person-in-charge, and food items served or supplied by the FBO are filled in this form.
* After submitting this form, the authority may ask for additional information if any need appears. The FBO has to provide this information within 30 days of the communication. If the applicant fails to provide the information within the given time, his application is rejected (after allowing him to defend the delay).
* After receiving all the required information, the licensing authority issues an application ID number to the applicant, which he has to keep a note of for future references.
* The authority may order for an inspection of the premises of the food business operator, and the inspector may issue some suggestions to him, on which he has to work out within 30 days from the date of changes suggested.
* On reviewing all the documents, the authority may accept or reject the application. The FBO can start its business without further waiting if the licensing authority fails to inform the applicant within the stipulated time about its decision.
The below-listed documents accompany the form mentioned above:
Layout plan of the processing area
: Proof of possession of premises
Details of machinery and equipment
List of directors and their details
Photo Identification Card and Address proof of the directors/ partners or any other authorised person
6: Charter document of the organization
List of food categories to be manufactured
: Food safety management plan
An analysis report issued by a recognized laboratory about the water to be used for manufacturing
Pesticide residues report of water to be used
Source of milk procurement
NOC from the manufacturer (if re-labelling is being done)
NOCs from the municipality or any other local body
Recall plan, if any
The license fee ranges from Rs 2000 to Rs 7500 depending on what type of food is being provided by the FBO.
One should take the help of food license online consultants
to avoid any complications later.
VALIDITY AND RENEWAL OF REGISTRATION AND LICENSE ISSUED BY FSSAI
The validity of a registration or license varies from 1 to 5 years. It is at the option of the FBO for how much time he wants his registration or license to be valid. Its renewal is possible, but the applicant must make this application of renewal at least 30 days before the date of expiry. If there is any delay in the renewal application, the applicant also has to pay a late fee. At MAG we also provide the services for FSSAI renewal online
and helps in getting the FSSAI registration renewal
The operator needs to stop carrying on his business if his license gets expired, and if he wants to restart his business, he again has to apply for a new license.
In case of changes or rectifications, the applicant has to inform the authority before such changes occur. On submitting the changes and surrendering the outdated license, the officer will issue a new license.
If you are looking for FSSAI Registration Certificate consultant in Delhi, you can write to us at email@example.com
. Our team of experts shall assist you with the finest FSSAI Registration and consultancy services.